Canadian man arrested, charged for running KimWolf DDos botnet
In court documents unsealed on Thursday, the Justice Department said Jacob Butler ran KimWolf as a DDoS-for-hire service that infected over a million devices worldwide.
A Canadian man was arrested this week on charges of operating a large botnet taken down by law enforcement agencies earlier this year.
Jacob Butler was arrested in Ottawa on Wednesday after the U.S. Justice Department filed an extradition warrant tied to his operation of the KimWolf botnet, one of the largest and most damaging distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) platforms in the world. DDoS platforms flood targeted websites and servers with junk traffic, making them unreachable.
Butler, 23, was initially identified by cybersecurity journalist Brian Krebs in February and denied being behind the online persona known as “Dort” that ran KimWolf.
Source: https://therecord.media/canadian-man-arrested-charged-running-kimwolf-botnet
Related breach coverage
- Authorities arrest 23-year-old accused of running the Kimwolf botnet2026-05-22
Canadian authorities arrested a 23-year-old Ottawa man accused of running the Kimwolf DDoS botnet. The US is now seeking extradition. US authorities have charged 23-year-old Jacob Butler (aka “Dort”), an Ottawa resident, for allegedly operating the recently disrupted Kimwolf botnet. Authorities arrested the suspect in Canada, he could face up to 10 years in prison […]
- Canadian Man Arrested for Operating Kimwolf Botnet2026-05-22
Jacob Butler, 23, has been arrested in Canada and US authorities are seeking his extradition on computer hacking charges. The post Canadian Man Arrested for Operating Kimwolf Botnet appeared first on SecurityWeek.
- Microsoft disrupts Fox Tempest malware-signing-as-a-service platform tied to ransomware gangs2026-05-19
The company unsealed a legal case in U.S. District Court on Tuesday detailing the disruption of Fox Tempest — a popular service that has operated since May 2025 and provides cybercriminals with code signing tools.
- Alleged Dream Market admin arrested in Germany after US indictment2026-05-13
Court documents said Dream Market was launched in 2013 by Owe Martin Andresen and others before becoming one of the biggest criminal marketplaces online.
